In a nut shell day 12,13,14 was a sad YO YO of dying of craving,lavishing in compliments about my weight loss, neeeding a dessert and Binging on pistachios!
Definitely the most difficult Chennai trip ever! Imagine sitting in Sarvana Bhavan (the most amazing South Indian Breakfast heaven!!) and not eating a thing!!!My taste buds cried a meloncholy ballad remembering the taste of a masala dosa..
But sense prevailed after 2 stanzas of the ballad when I realised that the Indian Breakfast of Puri-Bhaji,Parathas and Dosas might be the cat burglar robbing me of the chance of eating nutrient rich food!!! Just compare two boiled eggs to a Masala dosa you would eat outside..
In the past I regularly fell pray to my cravings..All the brilliant home delivery startups made it easy to order two chocolate desserts and devour them without thinking about the kazzelllion calories I was dumping in my body..But its different now..I see the food for what it will do to my body…I spend the first few seconds salivating but the next few seconds I see the food for what it is actually..a thick slab of empty calories! This weekend ,while travelling back from Chennai in shatabdi I saw a couple mix pepper in butter and eat it like a dip with the soup sticks!! First two seconds went by in visualising how it would taste if I ate it the same way..and then I actually saw the couple…in between them they could most probably make at least 2 more fully grown human beings and a small dog!! Hmmm..I ate my Banana in silence!
The lunch for today was Indian style Pork Stir fry with minty sweet potato fries. I used fresh spicy pork sausages for this dish but you can use any kind of ground pork. These sausages disintegrate very easily in the sause and give the same texture as minced pork. The sweet potato were spiced with a spice mix that my mother usually adds to yoghurt to make a raita.I usually have a box of this handy though I havent cooked a lot with this.The final dish had a mix of Mexican and Indian flavours.
Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potatos-1 large cut into fingers.
- Dried Mint
- Roasted Cumin
- Black Pepper
Pork Stir Fry
- Two Fresh Pork Sausages/1 cup of minced Pork-firmly pressed
- Red Pepper(capsicum)-1-Julienned
- Yellow Pepper(Capsicum)-1-Julienned
- Garlic-3 cloves
- Dried or Fresh Mint-1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Pork Stir Fry
- In a Non stick pan heat oil on medium flame. Add the Garlic and Onions and saute on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- Add the minced Pork/sliced Sausage.Brown for 2-5 minutes.
- Make a Paste of the tomatoes and add to the pan with pork.
- Add the peppers,mushrooms,mint and Salt.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Heat a Pan on medium flame.Add oil and Sweet Potatos.
- Keep Tossing the potatoes in the pan to ensure all sides get the heat.
- Sauté for 20 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of Spice mix.
Serve the Stir fry hot with the Sweet Potato Fries.