Day 9 was much better than the weekend…i hardly felt I was on some sort of diet…I think it’s the weekends when I have to be extra strong!!! But yesterday was better because of another event!!! I know my friend who introduced me to this is kicking ass in whole30 because he is in US where you have so many readymade substitutes!! We used to cook together when he was in India in fact we have a post together on foodcow- Chicken Biryani with Balaji Ravishanker.He knows how difficult it is to do this in India and so he wrote a mail to whole30 to tell them about my Indian journey and they want to put one of my posts from their instagram page!! Small victories!!A shout out to Balaji Ravishankar for the awesome friend that he is!!
Today I tried on a couple of clothes which had stopped fitting me and I am surprised that I can close the buttons now!! The reason I stopped baking and hence stopped being active on my blog was not only the insane work pressure but also cause I was eating the goodies I baked and gaining an inch a post!..But one area where whole30 has already changed me for the better is in thinking only unhealthy food is tasty and pretty!! The image of health food in my head has already transformed!!!
Today I can say wholeheartedly drinking your coffee black .IS .NOT.HARD.
Day 9 was great in terms of flavors but I have realized I don’t like chicken thighs…I prefer the chicken breast cut much more…I made a very very creamy Lemon chicken with cashew sauce..if not on whole30 and feeling like a lot of carbs you can add cream to this recipe..I also figured the taste of whole rosemary in the sauce isn’t that amazing so I decided to blend the sauce after I cooked the chicken in it for extra silkiness!
Cashew Lemon Chicken
- Chicken Thighs-3
- Lemon Juice-1 Lemon
- Dried Rosemary-1/2 tbsp
- Chili flakes-1 tsp
- Onion-half chopped
- Oil-1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the Cashews in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Marinade the chicken in salt and lemon juice for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the onion and heat the pan for cooking.
- Add oil and when it is hot add the onions. Cook the onions till translucent. Remove the onions from the pan or move them towards the outside.
- Add the chicken and brown both the sides.
- Make a paste of the cashews and add to the cooking chicken.
- Add Rosemary, salt and chili flakes.
- Cook the chicken in the sauce for 10 more minutes. Check whether it’s cooked by cutting into the thickest part. It should be moist and white in color. If it is still pink it needs more cooking.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Take the gravy and blend it to make smooth gravy.
- Pour the gravy over the chicken and Serve with grilled zucchini.
I am also posting a bonus recipe of the starter that I took to the party on the weekend. I took this dish to the weekend house party so that i can stay whole30 compliant..This is a very fast version of chicken and can be ready in a matter of seconds. I usually keep a mix of the marinade spices listed below in a jar and use it for fish fry.This recipe is also whole30 approved and is a great party food!
- Chicken breast-2
- Parsley for garnish
- Tomato puree-3 tbsp
- Oil-1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Chilli-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Slice the chicken breast into small bite size pieces
- Add the marinade spices and rub the chicken pieces well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the chicken and sauté till the pieces turn slightly brown.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley or coriander.
Whole30 quote “it’s not hard.dont you dare tell us this is hard.Quitting heroin is hard..Beating cancer is hard..Drinking your coffee black .IS .NOT.HARD”