This is an idea I got from TLC fabulous foods which was featuring USA’s best bakeries. There was this one cookie boutique which was famous for its chocolate cream cheese cookie. They obviously didn’t reveal the recipe on the TV but I decided to experiment with it. First I needed a dark chocolate cookie recipe which I could fill with cream cheese. I googled and googled and finally settled on a recipe given by the bake queen Martha Stewart! So this recipe is basically a result of a number of inspirations.
The chocolate cookie recipe I got is pretty simple and it gives the best of results in shortest of times. I am not very good with cookies so this was a nice change. The dough came out nice and firm and needed refrigeration for barely an hour after which I had to bake it for just 15 minutes! The finished result had a mixture of soft gooey chocolate and granulated sugar and the saltiness of the cream cheese.
The taste was heavenly!!!I realized instead of using cream cheese filling I can use lemon curd or some orange filling or nothing at all!!! I am getting excited just thinking about the possibilities!!The cookie is just fantastic chilled!The dark chocolate is the ultimate comforter!!so amazing!!
The only problem I faced in this recipe was that I baked the cookies with the cream cheese filling and it browned a bit. So I had to put small pieces of foil on top of the cream. Also I have a habit of putting less sugar than given in the recipe because of which the cream cheese was tart.
This is a fun recipe which you can enjoy making with people especially kids!!After refrigeration the dough is divided into 9 equal balls and put on the baking dish lined with parchment paper or cookie sheet. The next step is the fun part. Using your thumb make a deep hole in each cookie and fill the hole with the cream cheese filling. I used a piping bag for filling the cream cheese.
¾ cup flour
¼ cup cocoa
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ounces of dark chocolate (semi sweet) chopped
½ cup butter at room temperature
1 egg yolk
1/2 egg white
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup castor sugar
2 ounces of cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Combine and mix flour, cocoa and salt. Keep aside.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or using a double boiler or using a heat proof bowl over steaming water. Set aside to cool.
- Process the butter and granulated sugar till pale. Add the egg yolk, vanilla essence and mix well.(by hand or food processor)
- Add the chocolate and process for few seconds.
- Add the flour mixture to this and combine till the dough is firm. In case it’s too dry add tablespoon of egg white.
- Wrap the dough in a cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Take the cream cheese and combine it with the castor sugar. Fill the mixture in a piping bag.
- Take out the dough from the fridge and divide into 9 equal balls.
- Place the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment sheet.
- Using your thumb make deep hole in each ball and fill it with the cream cheese mixture. Place a small square of foil on each cookie covering the filling so that the cream cheese doesn’t brown.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees. Rotate the cookies and bake for 5 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Cool on a cooling rack. Serve warm or chilled.