There was a time when I used to watch desperate housewives back to back for 12 hours! One of the episodes featured a pineapple upside down cake made by the famous Bree. And it was then decided that I will make pineapple upside down cake come one day! So here it is.
I think it’s one of my best non chocolate cakes ever!
The clincher here that makes in on top of my hit list is that it doesn’t need any icing (translate-extra work!)It’s beautiful on its own and it doesn’t need to be cooled! Effectively the cooking and waiting time is reduced considerably! I wonder why it’s not sold in bakeries here!
This is also a cake for which I did not adopt the shortcut! I actually creamed the sugar and separated the eggs and beat the egg whites till stiff white peaks form! Obviously following a procedure is important!It is my first cake which cooked evenly! No domes or tunnels!
I used fresh pineapple for this! Cut it myself and ended but with bruised hands but it was sooo worth it! Also I didn’t have light brown sugar so have used dark brown sugar in equal quantities instead and that’s the reason for the dark brown caramelized top.
Here goes the recipe
¾ cup Unsalted Butter (¼ cup Butter for the pineapple topping and rest ½ for the cake batter)
1 medium pineapple
¾ cup brown Sugar
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 ½ cups of flour
2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
3/4 cup granulated sugar (can put 1 cup if you like the cake mire sweet)
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
½ cup milk
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Cut the pineapple into ½ to 1 inch (thickness) slices.(Leave out the middle portion of it as it is very hard and doesn’t cook well).We need about 6-7 slices.
- In a nonstick pan take ¼ cup butter and the brown sugar and melt at low flame. Once bubbles start appearing along the sides pour it into a 9 inch cake pan which is sprayed with nonstick baking spray.
- Spread it in the pan and arrange pineapples on it in a desired fashion.
- In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt and mix
- Now in a bowl or your electric mixer beat the ½ cup butter and white sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Next ass the vanilla essence and mix. Once that is done add the egg yolks one after another and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternatively and combine well.
- Whisk the egg whites with tartar until stiff
- Fold the egg whites genteelly in the batter using a spatula
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 min(or until toothpick comes clean and the top is brown)
- Cool in the wire rack for 10 minutes after which run a knife along the edges and invert the cake onto the serving plate
Enjoyed when served warm!!:D