This is the first time I was making anything using lemon zest. However much ever grated and grated it looked less to me!!This was one of my attempts to lure my hubby into hogging…but it didn’t work…not that they were not good cause the guests who came home didn’t leave a crumb of it…but cause he is really not into chocolate and the ganache overdid it!:D Next time I will try cream cheese frosting on it maybe that’ll work!
I halved the recipe as I wasn’t sure how they will come out and in the process skewed the sugar proportion and still ended up putting the zest of a whole huge lemon and my cupcakes came out slightly lemony salty and sugary..Three flavors in one…with the chocolate ganache it tasted too yummy!!But I liked how it turned out…and so did my friends!!!
Though I did end up putting little too much dough in the cups because of which I got slightly droopy cupcakes but the ganache hid that well! D
Makes 12 cupcakes; cooking time-20 min
Preparation time-30 min
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Zest of 1 large lemon (outer yellow skin)
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
1. Preheat the oven at 150 degrees for 10 min.
2. In the mean time combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a fairly large bowl.
3. Grate the lemon zest in the mixture (only the yellow part of lemon, as soon as u start seeing white rotate the lemon and carry on grating)
4. Combine the eggs, milk, butter and the vanilla extract and whisk it swiftly.
5. Slowly fold the wet ingredients into the dry and using a food processor churn it for a minute.
6. Line the cupcake plate and pour away!!!And bake for 20 min or until the toothpick comes out without any crumbs
7. Let them cool on a cooling rack and refrigerate for a while before frosting it with chocolate ganache